arousal levels

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Dr. Woeller,
    We do a lot of neurofeedback and biofeedback in our office and we focus a lot on Dr. Keiser and Dr. Othmer’s work with a over-arousal, under arousal and unstable nervous system (EEG Feedback: A Generalized Approach in Neuroregulation) as far as educating parents on behaviors. One thing I have noticed over the past year of using the OATS is a relationship between high quinolinic acid levels and behaviors that reflect an under-aroused nervous system (poor attention, impulsivity, disorganization, irritability, low energy, low pain threshold, etc.) I am assuming the connection between the two may have something to do with the large majority of the neurons being inhibitory. Of course, quinolinic acid is among many levels abnormal on the test. Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks!!

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Todd,
      Very interesting. I didn’t know about that connection. What do you think about Quinolinic Acid being an NMDA receptor agonist and over-stimulating the nervous system?

Dr. Woeller

I am looking at this paper right now on quinolinic acid – excitotoxic neuron apoptosis from 1997 which is concerning me with the connection of left frontal lobe slowing (theta wave dominance) often seen in types of ADD in kids. Also seeing theta dominance in left temporal lobe in language ASD kids. I think we need a 1,000 OATS and QEEGS so we can put this all together!

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Todd,
        That’s great information. You are right about needing more tests to be able to fully correlate all of this information.
        Dr. Woeller

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.