ADHD, history of high fevers, anxiety, behaviors, candida,

Home Forums Autism Mastery Troubleshooting ADHD, history of high fevers, anxiety, behaviors, candida,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lynn AltierNeed
    Participant

Hello Dr. Woeller,

I have an 11 y.o. male client ADHD since age 4. Child history includes several high fevers 105 and 103; but didn’t show symptoms. Mother had child on feingold, GF/CF diet prior to meeting with me. OAT revealed moderate candida and mildly elevated oxalates. Supported child with MV,MM (Brainchild), Cod Liver Oil, VSL#3, low to moderate oxalates (omit nuts). Mother is aggressive about taking on the diet…
      My questions:
      1. Hesitant about the diet restrictions but trying to create a baseline. Your thoughts on how you’d prioritize? The mother reports that the Feingold has not tapered his behaviors.
      2. Added in the VSL #3slowly and added in the GSE slowly (working up to 24 drops per day), mother reports increase in behaviors: galloping, swinging arms in a circular pattern.
      3. Mother reported no TICS prior to my recommendation of the VSL #3. I’m concerned that the strep strain in the VSL #3 may be exacerbating his symptoms. Or is this die-off?
      4. Mother is implementing charcoal, epsom salt baths and lemon water (slowly sequenced and titrated). To help rule-out die-off.
      5. Does the history high fevers, onset of ADHD (around same time), galloping behaviors, swinging arms… warrant a PANDAS pursuit? Or something other that I’m possibly missing?

Much appreciated,
      Lynn

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Lynn,
        I believe your asking about how aggressive to be with a low oxalate diet?

1 – I would prioritize to high to very high oxalate foods and incorporate calcium/magnesium citrate with each meals in addition to the VSL#3 he is already taking.
        2 – GSE is phenol, like many botanicals (unfortunately). Hard to know sometimes if a reaction is die-off or phenol sensitivity. Since the level of arabinose are mild consider Candex – 1 to 2 capsules twice daily and Biotin – 5000mcg daily for yeast.
        3 – you would need to discontinue this to be sure. I typically don’t see tics as a reaction to die-off. Instead, go with ProBio Premium from New Beginnings as an alternative to VSL#3 to help with high oxalates.
        4 – okay, this is fine.
        5 – I don’t think the high fever is necessarily linked to a greater chance of PANDAS. I would see how he does off the VSL#3 and GSE. Also, run a Hair Analysis to evaluate for Lead and other metals. Also, incorporate a Porphyrin Analysis from Great Plains Laboratory too. This is a urine test that can identify cellular toxicity from heavy metals as well.

I hope this helps,
        Dr. Woeller

Lynn AltierNeed
        Participant

Hello Dr. Woeller,
          Thank you for clarification. There were other supplements in the protocol that I didn’t include in this forum. #1. Great. Mother is doing. thank you. #2. How did I overlook the obvious? Thank you. #3 Once we remove the GSE, we will see if the VSL#3 remains a problem. Thank you.

#5. I’m familiar with the porphyrins test. Is this something that you recommend in most cases, or is there a specific reason with this case? I don’t want to jump ahead but I’d also be interested in your thoughts on when to recommend a Hair analysis, and/or porphyrins.

Much appreciated,
          Lynn

DrWoeller
          Keymaster

Lynn,
            I don’t always do the Porphyrin test, but in this case its worthwhile. Lead is a known trigger for hyperactivity and the porphyrin analysis will give you more insight into possible cellular effects of Lead (and other heavy metals) beyond just the Hair Analysis – in case the hair analysis is inconclusive. The tricky thing is that there is not one “best” heavy metal test for all things. Because porphrins are produced at the mitochondria level it can provide some additional insight into the potential for heavy metal toxicity.

Sincerely,
            Dr. Woeller

Lynn AltierNeed
            Participant

Hello Dr. Woeller,

This child’s hyperactivity has returned when addressing his heavy metal test results: extremely high aluminum and low lithium. I recommended malic acid, a little glutathione, since he was high normal on the OAT, increasing VSL#3 (on a moderate-low oxalate diet) and lithium per your recommendations (use 5 drops daily for 30 days, then 5 drops every other day for additional 60 days – then repeat the Hair Analysis.)
              The child was mild with hyperactivity prior to the recommendations after the metals test.
              1. Is this a result of dumping? It’s been 30 plus days. How can this be more managable for the parents?
              2. I encouraged the mother to stop the malic acid. Some of the calmness was restored.
              3. I also encoured the reduction of VSL#3.
              4. This child is on the Feingold Diet. I’m curious whether glutathione as a sulphur may be bother him.
              5. The lithium dosage is on the 30 + regimen. Can lithium be paradoxical?
              6. The child is tired and showing dark circles under his eyes.

I would appreciate your feedback on how you would handle this. Thank you, in advance.

Lynn

DrWoeller
              Keymaster

Lynn,
                Apologies for the late reply. Email system was not notifying me of posts.

The glutathione is likely the culprit. I would discontinue it and also the Lithium (at least for now). Give it about a week and see if the hyperness decreases or disappears. If not, than it is likely something else.

If it does, what I do in these circumstances is then restart the Lithium, but at one drop daily for 72 hours. If no issues, then 2 drops for another 72 hours, etc.

Dr. Woeller

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.